WELCOME!

Hey Everyone!
This is my blog about all the activities and details about my mission. My folks are going to be updating it weekly, based on the information that I send them through my letters. My current address:
Elder Brigham James Merrell
MTC Mailbox # 138
CHI-CONS 0706
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

8-22-11

Monday: Today was very tiring. We woke up when it was still dark, and
walked about 2 172 miles to a gym to play basketball as a Zone. It
felt weird, after not holding one for a year or so. We ran and played
really hard. Then we had to walk home again. That walk was really
long. It took an hour and a half to walk home. But they were good
memories. We changed into our Zone t-shirts and headed to the Bus
Terminal...I was going to talk about Laja waterfall, but we just got
very important news. We`ve been working with Sabrina, trying to have
her talk to her dad, and ask permission to get baptized. We had the
whole Ward fast for her, to help. She`s been trying for two years.
It`s 11:40 right now. We just got a text message form her Mom, saying
that she got permission! burch and I were dumbstruck for about a
minute. We read it again, and then we both started crying and
laughing. We knelt down and hugged each other in the silence, quietly
sobbing. I told him that he was a great Missionary, and this would be
something he`d always remember. I`m examining my feelings, and I`m
just SO happy! I`ve got the giggles I always get after a cry. We saw a
miracle of God today. He loves us and he loves Sabrina.

Tuesday: We woke up and went to our Distrizona meeting. I had asked
all of the missionaries in my District to prepare a lesson one
Christ-like attribute from Chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel. But the zone
Leaders wanted us all to get together. they told us that attitude`s
the most fundamental thing to success. it`s about "mental toughness"
as Elder Ballard said. So we got into 2 circles and each had 1 person
in the middle. Everyone would say really negative things to the middle
person. I was in the middle. Burch said I was a horrible comp. Someone
said I was their worst District Leader. And I had to reply to each of
them positively. It was a cool exercise. We had lots of crunchy,
cartilage-meat with Hna. brillònes for lunch. We did contacts in the
afternoon before we had to share the activity we had planned for the
"Missionary Work" night of Ward Conference Week. I`d prepared a lesson
on the Atonement. I offered a cookie to each person. For each person
who took a cooke and-- to everyone`s surprise--for each who didn`t,
Elder Burch did 2 push-ups. The cookies were the Gospel. Christ
suffered for everyone. Not just those who accept him. But for those
who DO accept him through obedience to his Gospel, life is so much
happier and richer. People came up to me afterward, and said it`d been
a long time since they`d had such a good lesson. Sabrina was crying.

Wednesday: We planned a lesson for Jorge, this morning, trying to
figure out how to help him if he is consuming something outside the
bounds of the Word of Wisdom. I`m thankful for Preach My Gospel in
this respect. He called us shortly after, to tell us that he had to
cancel for today, and for the rest of the week. That was sucky,
covered with lamesauce. But it`s alright, `cause we invited him to
Sabrina`s baptism on Saturday and he said he could. That sucketh not.
We had lunch with the Sister that offended both of Burch`s converts.
He didn`t say anything. Not one word. After lunch, we did divisions
with the Zone Leaders who were doing divisions with LIsonb ee and his
comp. So one Zone Leader, Elder Decker, went with Burch to do
Sabrina`s interview, while I went to the Zone Leader`s Sector with
Elder Tavernier, who`s got 1 month in Chile. We did contacts, and I
realized he has a great attitude. He sees things that are commonly
viewed as "annoying" or "impolite" as "funny" or "interesting." He`s
so great. We came back and did contacts. Burch taught me how to throw
pass-alongs. Yeah! We ended by visiting hna. Gloria. She`s doing well.
Burch says everyone thinks I`ll be training next transfer. I don`t
think I`m ready. We`ll see what the Lord says. The trainers usually
get their calls on Thursdays. Fingers crossed (Though for what, I`m
not sure)!

Thursday: No call today. Today was a good day. We goit up and did our
workouts extra hard, and it hurt. Yeah! We also did some productive
cleaning.We did our weekly planning before we had to go to the Zone
Leaders` house to pick up a white tunic for Sabrina to use on
Saturday. It`s a perfect fit! I got to see Elder Lisonbee while I was
there. He`s still awesome. We had lunch with Hna. Roa in the
countryside. We took a bus to get to her very long driveway. While
there, I found a picture of a girl in a nightgown (modest) that fell
out of my scriptures, where her daughter had hidden it with a note
that said, "You should repent for seeing this." So we got revenge on
her while she`s away for the week. We did contacts in the afternoon
because of our fallen appts. (may they rest in peace) We STILL weren`t
able to enter any houses. This whole week, we`ve been in the streets.
It`s been tough. But Cassie (friend) told me there`s good in every
situation if we`re willing to look for it. And daddy helped me learn
more about optimism, as well. So, really, things are better than I
would have thought, without their help. I listened to Cassie (sister)
and Devin`s tape in the night.

Friday: My mind is still blown from the news that i got this
afternoon, but I`m getting ahead of myself. We got up and read
through a pamphlet of "common doubts" that`s especially suited for
Chileans. it`s a really powerful tool I`ve been neglecting. We were
out, doing contacts at about 1:00, when we heard a honk. We looked
over, and saw Pres. Martinez and his wife. they`re like, "Hey, we want
to go inspect your apartment." The bottom dropped out of my stomach.
LUckily, we cleaned yesterday. Hna. Martinez made suggestions to take
out the stronger stuff we didn`t reach. I asked Pres. Martinez to
settle Burch`s and my bet of me training. He told Burch to prepare his
money. Ha! but an hour later, the Assisstants called me! Oh my gosh,
oh my gosh, oh my GOSH!!! I`m TRAINING!!! I`m gonna be a father in the
mission, with my little hijo. I was nervous at first, but now I`m
really excited for this blessing. Wow! I guess I made a really good
impression on Pres. Martinez...and the Lord, too, I guess. Wow! this
is so cool! We went to Santa Barbara to interview Alan, their
potential convert. He passed! We went to a Ward potluck that was so
good. When we left, we found items of revenge from Natalia in our
backpacks. I got some blue felt material sewn in the shape of a thong
with red hearts glued on it. There was a note that said, "You forgot
your thermals. Hope you enjoy!" So funny!

Saturday: Today was awesome! We got up and read some really cool
things in Preach My Gospel durin gour comp. study. Because of the
baptism we had in the afternoon, we knew we wouldn`t have any time to
work outside, so we got all of our contacts done in the morning. We
knocked a lot of doors, and barely spoke with anyone. They just won`t
open their doors! We didn`t find ANY new investigators this week. It`s
been kinda tough, especially now that I know that I`m going to have a
brand new hijo here. He probably will have a tough time with
contacts. I`m so excited to go back to learning the basics. I think
there will be some very important things I`ll discover have been lost.
We had lunch with the weird "cat family." The food was awesome. We had
to go to the baptism right afterward. Sabrina was a little nervous,
kinda like Mirta had been. There were about 8 others who got baptized
at the "boutizazo." It all went well. One Peruvian Elder baptized for
the first time. He had to do it 3x in front of everyone. I felt bad
for him. We went to Hna. Quiroga`s house to teach English to her
daughter, Florencia. She`s pretty dang smart. We got our transfers
tonight. I already knew mine, but Burch found out he`s going to Boca
Sur (south mouth) in San Pedro with Elder Jennings. He`s nervous
`cause it`s a dangerous sector. I know he`ll be fine.

Sunday: Today was pretty much a day of farewells. We got to church,
only to discover that, even though Jorge had promised 3 times to come
to church, he didn`t show up. Elder Burch was given time to say
goodbye. While he was up there, he took the opportunity to tell
everyone that no one should talk bad about missionaries--something
that this Ward does frequently. He did it in a way that would only be
noticed by those who did it. He emphasize3d it VERY well. So well,
that I`m not so sure it was as discreet as he hoped. Someone passed me
a note from Javiera Roa with 11 Birdmen. I had to do 11 pushups. We
said goodbye to Ricardo first. He lives in a very humble house. He`s
going to miss Elder Burch ve3ry much. They both cried a little.
ricardo gave a very nice, little speech. Then we said goodbye to Hna.
gloria. Last, we said goodbye to Gustavo and Scarlet. They`re so
awesome. Elder Bernal called me to tell me that Pres. decided to close
the Secto of Tirua. He`s going to Victoria, and Elder Tatasciore is
going to finish his mission in LIcan Ray, where I STARTED the Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment