WELCOME!

Hey Everyone!
This is my blog about all the activities and details about my mission. My folks are going to be updating it weekly, based on the information that I send them through my letters. My current address:
Elder Brigham James Merrell
MTC Mailbox # 138
CHI-CONS 0706
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Sunday, November 6, 2011

10-2-11

Monday: Today was alright. we got up and cleaned and relaxed after
having enjoyed sleeping in. Then, our Zone Leaders called and said
they wanted to play soccer at our chapel, because of it`s field. We
ran over to Hna. Pinar`s house to get her copy of the key. As we were
playing, I realized the sad truth that I just can`t play this game
gracefully. So I played to my strengths and played goofily, and that
worked out pretty well. We went to write the family after we got
cleaned up. Mama and Daddy wrote me wonderful things of home.
Apparently, they bought a giant flag pole. My house, and car, and
room, and everything is going to be so different when I get home. I
was thinking about it, and my first day home, I`d like to just walk
around Provo. That sounds like a good plan. Up until this point, my
day was awesome. But then I got a migraine. I ended up taking three
aspirins, and it still didn`t lessen the pain. we went out ot drop our
clothes off and return Hna. Pinar`s keys. At that point, the pain was
so bad that Elder Zuñiga had to give me a blessing. I felt a mementary
relief, but it went away and the pain came back. Hna. Pinar made
lemonade with real lemons, saying itwould help. It didn`t, but it was
delicious. I couldn`t think straight through the pain, so we just came
home. Now I am going to just go to bed.

Tuesday: Today was great. We went to the Distrizona and I taught my
class about helping Investigatators keep commitments. The Spirit was
there, and it went better than usual. I sent off my reply to Cassie
(friend). We did an online language study checklist today, and then
went to lunch. Hna. Soto told us Gloria had passed by, and is so happy
because of the help we`ve been giving her. that made me feel good.
Today, something changed in me. I don`t know what it was, but I`m sure
it has to do with the dedicated study I`ve recently been giving to the
Book of Mormon. This change was something that I felt. Afterwards, we
got into 4 houses.

Wednesday: Today was a pretty important day. We had our interviews
with the President, and got to meet as a Zone with the Assisstants.
They told us that we`d lower the quantity of required contacts to
improve the quality of contacts expected. That`s something that I`ve
had clear since Sister Tan taught me how to do good contacts before
the Mission. We taught the Restoration to Angelica in the afternoon.
She was receptive. We walked around with the Book of Mormon in hand
all day. We watched "the Testaments" with Gloria. she loved it1 she
said she doesn`t like FHE. but she shared snacks during the movie, and
she shared scripture. When we told her THAT was an FHE, she said,
"That wasn`t so hard." I feel so great, right now! WOOT!

Thursday: Today was so unbelievably awesome. Everything`s just coming
together and working perfectly. We`re teaching about 4 families with
about 3 people in each. They`re just starting out, but things look
promising. We learned about Weekly Planning from our "The District"
DVD`s. We had lunch with the bello family. Hno. Bello had questions
about his iPad 2 (hyperventilate) that I helped him out with. We tried
to teach Sabrina, but they`d gone to visit her sick grandma. We sent
chocolate with them. :) Some of our other appts. fell through, but
because of our more thorough contacts, we were able to have some
really motivating conversations. As we were standing outside a door, I
thought it`d be funny to send Elder Zuñiga a "toxic love note" if you
know what I mean. But it wasn`t as silent as I`d hoped it would be. It
was downright explosive! So we just ran away, red-faced and laughing.
We taught hector about Joseph Smith and the REstoration. He has some
doubts about Prophets and the Bible, but the thought of another
testament positively intrigued him. He said he`s not sure of lots of
things, but he wants to know. We invited him to read and pray, as well
as go to General Conference. We met with Scarlet and Gustavo for the
first time in 2 1/2 weeks. They`re doing so well. They hadn`t read the
BOM for a while, but Scarlet said she`d chewed him out yesterday
because of it (keep in mind that SHE`S the investigator. not him.).
She asked me to give her a blessing. I gave it from my heart as best I
could becuase I love her and gustavo and the progress they`re making.
As we ended, she was crying. She`s so special.

Friday: Today was so amazing! We`re seeing so many blessings of the
Lord here, in Avenida Alemania. Oh my goodness. Today was the last day
before General Conference, and we had all these new investigators that
hadn`t heard the Restoration yet. When this transfer started, I was
depressed because we didn`t have people to plan for, or visit. Well
you know that Scripture that says, "God will open the windows of
heaven and puor out blessings so we won`t have room enough to recei8ve
them?" I totally know what that feels like, now. We`ve got 6 families
we`re teaching and more than 10 investigators that are progressing. So
we were prtty much running all over the place. They`re all such
special children of God, and they WANT to progress. It was really
special to me, to be able to testify almost all day long to these
people who could understand the importance of what we were saying. All
of them got Books of Mormon, and want ot come to General Conference.
Lily and Ernesto were our last visit. We watched "The REstoration"
video with them. Ernesto had read the pamphlet and had some questions
ready. They believe God COULD call a prophet. they were shocked at
ournews and want to read the Book of Mormon and go to Conference,
Sunday. What a wonderful miracle. I`m so grateful for the Spirit and
it`s role in teaching.

Saturday: It was General Conference today! It was so full of inspired
messages that just said what I needed to hear. I`m so grateful for
repentance and the chance that we have, each day, to improve ourselves
and come closer to God. Elder Uchtdorf gave a wonderful talk on how
big the Universe is, and how man is nothing, but everything to God. It
was so powerful to when he said, "You. matter, to. him." Satan wants
us to feel invisible and unappreciated, but we "are the reason God
created the Universe." We need to remember 5 things 1) the Humble and
Meek are jof Heaven. 2) the Gospel will be preached by the weak. 3) No
matter your circumstance--you are not invisible to God. 4) What you
see and experience now is not necessarily what will be. You will not
be forsaken by him. 5) The most powerful being in the Universe is the
Father of your spirit. He wants you to know you matter to him. Elder
christofferson also gave 5 important things of repentance. 1) The
invitation to repent is an action of love. 2) Repentance means
striving to change. It is a holy process. 3) Not just abandoning sin,
but committing to obey God. You need baptism. 4) Repentance is a
seriousness of purpose and a determination to remain. Deep distress
leads us to cry to Christ. Suffering in repentance will be little
compared to eternal damnation. 5) Whatever the cost of repentance, it
is swallowed up in the joy of forgiveness. fIt was a very special talk
for me. Elder Holland gave a very frank talk, calling many to serve a
worthy Mission, and to stop sinning but saying you`re "on christ`s
team when temple attendance comes around." It was very straight
-forward. Elder Carl B. Cook related a story where the Prophet said,
"It`s better to look up." That`s just what I`ve been trying to do! :)

Sunday: Today was a bittersweet day. It was sweet because the messages
given that we needed our investigators to hear were all given in the
session that they said they would ocme to. It was bitter because not
one of them did what they said they were going to do. It`s so
frustrating and sad to see them missing the blessings they COULD be
having. I guess I`m getting a little taste of how Heavenly Father
feels when I don`t do what I know i should. There`s always something
to work on. We heard some really wonderful talks about the Divinity of
the Book of fMormon. It was explained so clearly and powerfully that
it just made SENSE! And during the whole while,I just had a feeling of
peace and rejuvination that made me feel more sure of the world and my
place in it. The powerful testimonies of how God knows what we`re
going through was especially emphasized. Through the Atonement, we can
have a hope for that which is to come, and how it will be a glorious
triumph. Elder Cook said it was like walking in on the middle of a
3-act play. You don`t know what`s happened or what will come. I
imagined a super hero who was found, by the audience, being beaten up
in an alley. In that BRIEF moment of weakness, you don`t know who he
is, or what miraculous powers he`s been endowed with, much less that
in a few moments he`s gonna beat the pants off of whatever`s gettin`
him down. (think about that analogy. it`s deep.) fIf we stay anchored
to the lord, he will see us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment